I am not going to lie! Middle age is upon me!
As long as I am confessing my sins to the blog this week, I want to talk about the state of my overall health.
It hasn’t been pretty…mostly do to a lack of exercise in 2011 and 2012.
Blood work numbers are higher and thyroid a tad bit out of whack. I have a ton of skin issues, one genetic, one a result of strep infection after a third world country visit that I still can’t get under control.
This year, I am determined to get back in shape, eat better, improve my skin and lower my stress level.
I have been making strides.
1. At the end of 2011, I cut down on all of my extra curricular activities from shooting photography (boo) to taking on extra assignments and stretching myself to thin. Not easy when you work at a 7G pace on a normal basis.
I am sure people think I am rude when I just tell them no. But I have to protect my own time and when you are a single mom during the week, time matters.
I have already felt the changes in 2012 from taking on less. I like where I am at right now mentally.
2. I started implementing a monthly massage to help me relax and lower my stress and attention. As my skin diseases are impacted by my stress level, I decided to do everything I could to reduce stress and a monthly massage is definitely helping.
Plus it is a luxury that I just flat out love.
3. I have stopped worrying so much about being frugal, which is a trait of the financially conscience people and the Mormons and started being more realistic. Don’t worry I am still money conscience to a tee…and I have always considered frugal a swear word, it implies tight wad and I hate that.
What I mean is that….. I am paying out for additional help now that I need to make things run more smoothly and the benefits seem to be helping keep things in order but still maintaining a budget.
I am not a super woman people! I need help around this place.
In 2012, I hired back my housekeepers that I let go during the recession when I realized I couldn’t maintain the “mini plantation” on my own while Brian travelled his guts out.
In 2013, I implemented my new grocery delivery program that I have been bragging about this whole week.
I have taken control of my finances again in 2013 and the family menu.
(I have never maintained any debt and that takes a big chunk off of your plate and gives you room to work…so no matter where you are financially….get out of debt! That is the secret to everything in life!)
4. I am continuing to travel on every occasion I get ….this is my spend out! And while my 2002 carpet still needs replacing and things are breaking in the house, I don’t care….I am going to some of the greatest places in the world this year and that brings me complete JOY!
Travel is always a top priority and I can’t wait for the next adventure…I will die poor in the bank…but I will have lived large around the world
Now for the hard truth!
5. I have also implemented a daily appointment with myself and the gym.
It is hard to believe that an experienced aerobics instructor like myself could fall so far. (I stopped weekly teaching in 2010.)
Since I became a sub instructor in 2010 at the gym (to keep my membership), my body has gone to pot.
As a result of sitting home on a computer and homeschooling….which has led to continual excuse making….I decided 3 weeks a go to make a change.
The last three weeks I have gone 4 days a week and yesterday, I finally woke up to some energy that led me to that massive kitchen organization reconstruction...that by way…really paid off. (I cleaned the fridge, the freezer and Hillary cleaned and organized the cabinets with me….a dream!)
I started a spin class and a zumba class which I am totally uncoordinated in but love. (PS Hillary just got certified to teach zumba and has been hired as an instructor at my club. She will teach this summer as a regular and is subbing until then.)
I have been teaching in the pool instead of the deck! I have been subbing at least once a week. Today, I am teaching a 45 minute aqua boot camp!
This is such a funny thing but I haven’t stepped foot in the gym, outside of walking in two years…..but I am finding that I can’t wait to go today!
I decided to stop making excuses about the kids, single motherhood, busy schedules and just set a time that works. So far so good!
I am hoping to see my blood work numbers go down and improvement with my overall health increase.
6. Finally, I just want to enjoy my family more and that means spending less time doing what doesn’t matter and more time doing what does!
It is all about change this year for me…..Looking forward to a great February!